Student Doctor Phyll Eier Commissioned into U.S. Army

PNWU Student Doctor Phyll Eier was recently commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army. The commissioning ceremony took place in the office of Dr. Thomas Scandalis, dean of PNWU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM).

“I believe being involved in military medicine will help me learn to think on my feet and make the most of the resources around me which will only benefit my eventual practice in rural and medically underserved areas,” explained Student Doctor Eier. “The military will hopefully give the opportunity to travel and live abroad while fulfilling the dual purpose of serving my country and serving others in a healthcare capacity. The military also pays for medical school so I can focus on becoming a doctor and, in a few years, being a great doctor without worrying about finances and debt.”

“It was amazing to watch Phyll Eier being commissioned to start her military journey,” explained Vicky Koch, executive assistant to the dean and COM chief academic officer.

“I assist in planning the Military Promotion ceremony that occurs during commencements, which in some ways concludes the journey. I now see the entire process and the seriousness of the commitment our military students make right from the beginning.”

A collection of fellow PNWU military medicine students were also in attendance to support the start of St. Dr. Eier’s journey, setting aside time in their busy schedules to offer advice for her upcoming training and providing tips to be successful.